Wednesday 11 November 2015

Decluttering, downsizing, and getting ready for home renovations

Moving to a tiny house is a process of reducing.  As a first step I am finding new homes for most of my furniture and belongings.  Already I have found places for my canoe, kayak, wind surfer, snow blower, water bed, coffee table, wicker chair, curtains, and bedroom side table.  The canoe was a gift from Margaret, who I have mentioned before, when she moved to Salt Spring Island.

A Cornerstone volunteer who is a student is just starting out and needed furniture and kitchen stuff; another friend is leaving her husband and also needs things for her new life - so my Champion Juicer that I never ever thought I would let go of, my bread maker, two desks, my laser printer, my blender, and my food dryer have all moved on.

I have researched smaller appliances and purchased a slightly smaller printer that can also scan and copy, a smaller bread maker, and a small mini prep food processor to replace the blender, which I found half price at the Bay and is red.

I have also started to create a mental list of things I plan on bringing with me:
  • hammocks
  • bed frame (but not the old not-so-comfortable mattress)
  • small chest of drawers for clothes
  • large mahogany trunk I inherited, an antique from Madagascar
  • hand carved four panelled Indian screen (which I hope to have made into doors in the new home)
  • my secretary's desk
  • six square floor cushions that when covered with a mattress cover create a comfortable double bed
  • my hand woven basket from Guatemala
  • my books on yoga and art
  • my paintings
  • my glow-in-the-dark poster of the Milky Way
  • the silk curtains from the dining room
  • a couple of carpets
  • my chain saw
  • three very large ceramic pots for flowers to put on the deck of my new place
  • two solitary bee's nests

  • my leather couch and spinning chair
  • my outdoor couch and chair
  • a black bamboo coffee table for the deck from Venezuela
  • three stools for the kitchen eating peninsula
  • several beautiful quilts made by my mother
  • my macbook, iPad and iPhone
  • TV, cd player and cd collection and a couple of records
  • kitchen things, probably about half of what I currently have in the kitchen
  • yoga mats, blankets, blocks and bolsters
  • my singing bowl collection
  • my little hot tub



No comments:

Post a Comment