Friday 30 October 2015

Design Phase

To help me with the design and provide an initial estimate, I contacted a tiny house company located in Fernie, BC, and a local builder on Gabriola.  Basing my design on the Jay Shaefer’s Marmara house, I created my first rough draft of a tiny house plan. 

This is a picture of the Marmara house and layout.




The idea would be to sleep in a double-bed sized loft that was 4 1/2 feet high in the middle, and to use the downstairs bedroom (also the size of a double bed) as a tiny yoga studio.  I would add double French doors to the living room area to open out onto my deck.

Once I discovered that I was not obligated to build the tiny house on wheels, and could legally put it on my property, I started working on the design of something a bit more appealing that did not have to be long and skinny.

And on Friday, October 23rd, I sent my tiny house plan, version 2.0, to my builder, Elisha Bandel, who agreed to prepare a professional plan.  I made the house L-shaped, decided to only have a loft on one side, increased the size of the rooms, gave the yoga room/guest bedroom an outside entrance, and added a carport.  This is what the layout looks like:




But after thinking more about it, I made a few changes to include an outdoor shower, indoor sauna, and two separate mini bathrooms with toilets and sinks, one off the kitchen, and the other off the yoga room.

Here is Version 2.1:





1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen, are there lots of bugs in the spring? You might want to consider a screened in porch.

    ReplyDelete